On 5 January 2015 at 18:52, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi, anybody willing to try to answer this?

Without being an expert on all the legal implications, I can tell you how
AOO deals with the problem set.

see inline.

rgds
jan i.

> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> On 12/22/14, 8:11 AM, "Alex Harui" <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have some questions about Binary Convenience Packages:
> >
> >1) In [1] it says: "the binary/bytecode package .. may only add
> >binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of the
> >source code release”.  An Apache Flex SDK source package has a build
> >script that downloads jars such as Saxon and JavaCC.  Does the text I
> >quoted mean that the binary package cannot bundle Saxon and JavaCC because
> >we did not compile those jars from their sources?  Or does “compiling”
> >really mean “running the build script on”?

AOO uses a "configure" script that downloads all the packages we needs,
then we run "build" and release the binary.

If you take [1] too strictly you would never be able to make a binary,
because you always depend on some system libraries at the very least.

> >2) In [2] it says for Category B: "By including only the object/binary
> >form, there is less exposed surface area of the third-party work from
> >which a work might be derived; this addresses the second guiding principle
> >of this policy. By attaching a prominent label to the distribution and
> >requiring an explicit action by the user to get the reciprocally-licensed
> >source, users are less likely to be unaware of restrictions significantly
> >different from those of the Apache License.”  Does “including” means
> >“bundling”?  If so, the quoted text must be referencing binary packages
> >and not source packages since source packages can never include
> >object/binary forms.  Or does “including” also refer to build scripts that
> >download an MPL jar like Saxon?

AOO release notes, includes the list of external packages (binary) we use,
but we do NOT provide the source for these libraries, nor do our installer
give the user a possibility to download.

I can only repeat my argument from above.

> >2A) If your build script downloads an MPL jar, must it provide an option
> >to download the source?

AOO does not.

> >2B) If your build script downloads an MPL jar, is any other additional
> >warning or explicit action required?

AOO does not give any. The configure scripts informs the user what it
downloads as it happens not in advance.

> >2C) If your binary package bundles an MPL jar (assuming the answer to #1
> >allows it), must it provide an option to download the source?

AOO does not.

I hope this helps you a bit, feel free to come back with questions.

rgds
jan i.