On 5 January 2015 at 21:57, Upayavira <u...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> that
> > > the
> > >
> > > I’m not sure who’s making that assertion.
> > >
> > Well its because I cannot see why a podling need more than 1 active
> > mentor
> > at all times....having multiple is fine, to cover each other, but it
> > should
> > not take more than 1 mentor to learn a podling, what it needs to
> > understand. The suggestion implicit says 2 mentors is the minimum needed
> > for at podling to become a successful TLP.

> more
> > >
> > > We’re not adding volume.  The volume is already there.  We’re just
> making
> > > the state of affairs more explicit and transparent and adding
> culpability
> > > for MIA mentors.
> > >
> > Do we have a rule today that a podling needs at least 2 active mentors
> > (if
> > we have that, then we would not have a problem with sign offs, or a lot
> > of
> > dead podlings), at least I have not seen it....that is what I mean by
> > adding volume.
> >
> > If just 1 mentor is active and sign off the reports, then I do not see
> > the
> > problem.

> > > Yes, it should help solve problems but if there are no mentors
> available
> > > there are no mentors available.
> > >
> > Then the IPMC should not have accepted the podling in the first place!
> >
> > It is simply not fair to make the life of a podling, depending on whether
> > or not we have mentors available (REMARK after accepting the proposal) !
> > If
> > the podling have a healthy community and are active, we cannot and should
> > not close it down, just because we have a mentor problem.
> >
> > To me telling a podling it cannot grow its community nor make releases,
> > is
> > the same as closing it down.
>
> Jan,
>
> From an idealistic perspective, you are completely right. Apache should,
> once a project has been accepted, provide the support needed.
>
> The reality is that, given the ASF's volunteer nature, that simply won't
> always work.
>
> I'd much rather we be clear with projects right up front, saying
> something like:
>
> "To join the Incubator, you need one or more mentors. To get to
> graduation, you will need the support of those mentors. If mentors
> become unavailable, you will need to seek replacements. Unless you have
> already learned the ways of the ASF and are ready to graduate, you will
> need to keep engaged with your mentors. If possible, engage in the wider
> ASF, and develop connections with others who might be in a position to
> assist with mentorship should one or all of your current mentors become
> unable to fulfill the role. "
>
> This is, actually, what happens, and I'd much rather we just said it

I agree that the world is not perfect and I really like your
wording.....mainly for 2 reasons:
- its does not require 2 mentors, but "one or more".
- its does not put fear in the podling that it might be prohibited from
growing due to outside events (availability of mentors).

As I see it, a Podling should always have at least 1 active
mentor....should the worst happen, and the podling is without mentor, BUT
does an active job of seeking a replacement and gets a new committer or has
a release, then the IPMC must take action, so the podling does not suffer.

This is I think a pragmatic solution...that allows the podling to work,
provided it is active.

I do not want us to make the ladder higher for entering ASF, it is already
pretty high compared to e.g. github (I do know we provide more, but
newcomers have to learn that first !!).

rgds
jan i.