> On Jan 7, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Upayavira <u...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

>>> mentors accountable but also give them a fair bit of autonomous authority
>>> during releases.

>>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MentorRebootProposal>
>>>>>

>> "Being put on hold means that no committers can be added, no PPMC members
>> can be added, and no releases can be performed"
>> This would be a no go for me. If a podling has lost a mentor, but are
>> actively seeking a new mentor, the IPMC must step in to accept a new
>> committer, PPMC member or release. The IPMC has accepted the podling, so
>> it
>> is very unfair, to punish a podling, that does a active job to replace a
>> mentor.
>
> The IPMC *cannot* replace a mentor. We have no power to make someone
> take on that role. Alan, please add a section to your doc about the fact
> that podlings retain responsibility for engaging with their mentors, and
> for recruiting replacements should a mentor quit or go AWOL.

A very good idea.  Though I will quickly add that I think that Jan meant to say
“it is unfair to make the podling recruit a new mentor to replace the removed
mentor”.

> It is great to clarify the responsibilities of mentors, but please let's
> set the expectations and responsibilities of podling members, otherwise
> we keep this idea that the Incubator PMC is a body that has power to do
> things (like make someone step up as a mentor for a project), which it
> doesn't.

Yes, definitely.  This is the document that I alluded to in the proposal,
"mentors must acknowledge that they will perform their duties as out lined in a
clearly defined document".  I wanted to garner consensus on the broad strokes
before filling it in, but since the initial reaction seems to generally
favorable, I should probably create that now.

Regards,
Alan