On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> And I think that someone who is an ASF member who claims that
> the Apache Way is completely unknown and nebulous and that
> there is no clear understanding of what the Apache Way is, well
> I think that's a big problem as well.

We've seen Brane's version of The Apache Way.  Here are some others:

    https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#philosophy

        While there is not an official list, these six principles have been
        cited as the core beliefs of philosophy behind the foundation, which
        is normally referred to as "The Apache Way":

        *   collaborative software development
        *   commercial-friendly standard license
        *   consistently high quality software
        *   respectful, honest, technical-based interaction
        *   faithful implementation of standards
        *   security as a mandatory feature

    http://communityovercode.com/2013/11/apache-governance-projects-first/

        These include things like The Apache Way of: volunteer and
        collaborative led community built software projects; using the
        permissive Apache license; and having a consistent and stable brand,
        infrastructure services, and home for all Apache projects.

    http://www.slideshare.net/rgardler/the-apache-way-and-openofficeorg

        *   Open Development vs. Open Source
        *   Everyone is equal, everyone is a volunteer
        *   All technical decisions about a project are public
        *   She who has the best ideas leads
            *   Until a better idea emerges

    http://theapacheway.com/

        The Apache Way is sort of like Zen. It's something that's difficult to
        explain, has many interpretations, and the best way to learn it is to
        do it.

The Incubator stands accused, on this list and others, of graduating pudlings
who fail to understand the Apache Way.  Like me, these podlings have an their
own interpretation of the Apache Way.  But we don't know, and can't know,
every possible interpretation of The Apache Way.

If the Board thinks that not knowing The Apache Way is a problem, give us a
specific definition -- and then don't hold us accountable for knowledge of any
other version.

Marvin Humphrey