On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:38 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I missed a few important points in this thread last week, with which I
> disagree:
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...1) Draft a template resolution. Starting in the wiki is fine, but
> you'll
> > want to involve board@ when you have your first draft done....
>
> IMO board members have more important things to do than work on draft
> resolutions for new projects,

Read it again, Bertrand: TEMPLATE RESOLUTION.

The Board doesn't let arbitrary resolutions just drop on our desk. We
expect them to be in a form that we agree with. Thus, any pTLP resolution
must fit our expectations. That means "how does this look, Board? what
needs to change?"

Part of that has already occurred, when I provided some feedback on the
(concrete) Zest resolution. A template still needs to be created from that.

> and it's also important for drafts of
> new projects to be discussed in public. If only to allow new people
> and mentors to jump in.

Resolutions don't need to be discussed, since they are "fill in the blank"
from a template. What needs to be discussed with the Board, is that
template.

> I strongly suggest discussing such draft resolutions on this list.
> Even if the Incubator PMC is not formally involved in managing those
> pTLPs, this list is where the know-how about creating new projects
> resides, I see no reason to move that work elsewhere.

Already agreed to. No need to beat that dead horse.

> > ...2) Create a ComDev page discussing what it means to be a "provisional
> TLP"....
>
> I don't understand why people want these things to move to comdev -
> did you even ask the comdev PMC about this? It sounds like people want
> to send a bunch of tasks their way, without even asking.

It was brought up on dev@ just like it should, Bertrand. Stop assuming the
worst.

> I see no reason for the pTLP process definition to happen outside of
> the Incubator, which is the PMC tasked with bringing new projects to
> the ASF.

Who ever said the Incubator has the exclusive Right to be the only way to
become part of the Apache Software Foundation? New approaches can be
discussed anywhere. At the end of the day, it will be the Board who votes
on a pTLP resolution.

-g