jan i <jani <at> apache.org> writes:

> On Sunday, April 12, 2015, dsh <daniel.haischt <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just as a quick remark. Geode might be a trademark owned by AMD:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode_%28processor%29
>
> Good catch, we need to hear the opinion of trademark <at>  because it depend
> on
> it is in an overlapping field (as I understood it). F.x. Corinthia is
> registered as a print font and hotel chain, but that was not a problem.
>
> I think it is a good proposal and the project seems to have good chances of
> growing under the wings of apache.
>
> rgds
> jan i

The name "Geode" was thought up by the Geode contributors at Pivotal.

Pivotal legal did a pretty extensive trademark search to ensure there would
be no infringement.  It was their opinion that there  is low risk of trademark
infringement with the AMD product.

However, its fully understandable that Apache legal needs to vet the name
of the project should it be accepted for incubation.