From: shaposh...@gmail.com [mailto:shaposh...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman
Shaposhnik
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 12:38 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Geode Incubation proposal

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<ross.gard...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Pivotal are asking me to agree to an "evaluation license" which I cannot view
> before I sign up.
> So I have to review the privacy policy first.

This must be a bug in your browser. What OS/Browser are you using?

The text of the license is also available in a separate file under the name
"Evaluation License":
    https://network.pivotal.io/products/project-geode

> Most importantly, the "export and license obligations" you mention are
> something that have to go away before we can accept the project (or more
> accurately before it can graduate).
> Since I can't evaluate the code or the license I have no way of evaluating
> whether this is possible.
>
> There is no mention of such an item under "known risks" or the
> "crypotography" section of the proposal so what's this "export" stuff about
> (assuming the license thing is the evaluation license)?

Sorry for not being more explicit: this is just how Pivotal distribution
network works.
And we have to use it in this particular case in order to guarantee that the
evaluation license has been explicitly acknowledged (as opposed to just being
there in a tarball). All these constraints has nothing to do with the source
code itself.

> Given the points above I do not see how I can evaluate this proposal in its
> current form.

I see that Bill has asked the question that I wanted to ask here, so I'll let
you reply in that part of the thread.

Thanks,
Roman.