On 24 April 2015 at 14:47, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 4/23/15 5:41 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> > Infra already  supports Whimsy so having a TLP is irrelevant in that
> > respect (although on reason Sam is doing this is because infra
> > expressed a concern about maintaining a service that only had Sam
> > working on it).
>
> To be clear: is the current whimsy.apache.org with a variety of board
> agenda, email lookup, etc. services a formally infra-supported service?
>  Just curious.  I would lobby that it should be formally supported at a
> normal level (i.e. it's not critical level like email/svn is).
> (Apologies if we already formally talked about this)

if you look at the infra ML, it is not full support like e.g. the mail
server, but merely
a "restart it" help. That was the reason for my question in order to have a
fully
supported service (upgrades, bug fixes in response to OS upgrades etc,
maintaining
the vm as such), infra might have wishes to the project.

> The service is separate from the TLP status.  We run the service to help
> our own project operations, which we'll do in any case.  The presumed
> pTLP would be to develop the code; I could easily imagine some of the
> code being useful as examples outside of the ASF.  Being a pTLP would
> also make development easier for newcomers, since code/mailinglists/etc.
> would all be normalized with other projects.

I thought the pTLP was also there to help in case of OS upgrades and other
external
things that might affect the running whimsy service.

rgds
jan i.