> I understand that git is a DVCS, but by mirroring the commit content
> from one repo to the ASF (albeit via a committer middleman), we
> largely make the push records[1] pointless.

The push logs are intended to determine the committer either who
authored the contribution or is taking responsibility for it if it's
not authored by a committer, right? If that's the case then the push
logs do show what's going on lately in terms of provenance, since we
adopted the new procedure of having committers individually submit
changes which they own. For example this line from the push log:

[Fri May 22 23:41:08 2015] refs/heads/master 7de6f4eb80 -> b9611bb9ab
mhubail@http.98.164.231.216

Murtadha did indeed author this commit.

-Ian