My belief is that committer != PMC is the ideal choice, based on my long
history of watching communities at the ASF. It allows for onboarding
committers rapidly and with a lower bar. That helps to draw them further
into the community, reduces the workload of others (who would otherwise
need to review/apply their work), and provides a mechanism to review
bringing them onto the PMC.

As Greg Reddin notes, separation of the two roles provides a mechanism for
distinguishing between "enable contributions" and "enable governance". As
an old-timer, I've observed (unfortunately) too many problems in
governance. An extra step is advisable (with a higher bar, while keeping
the low bar for contributions).

Cheers,
-g

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org