+1

Although an individual taking the RTC route is a bit different than there being
a local policy that requires it.  This has been addressed subsequently on this
thread, but I am struck by Bertrand's simple statement.  It inspired a
different way of looking at RTC vs CTR.

It is a community strength, and even related to having committer karma at all,
that folks are considered trustworthy to make changes (C[TR]) in repositories
where they are competent and careful, and that they are trusted to know the
difference where RTC is called for when they are not so confident and consider
determination/review as a way of avoiding unintended consequences.

There is also the safeguard that review is always possible and, indeed, we are
presumably talking about the one place where vetos count.

That does not mean mistakes do not happen, that no one is ever hasty,
bull-headed, etc., etc.  We're all human and these projects are human
enterprises.  The idea is that mutual trust based on a shared commitment
prevails as a guiding force through the hurly-burly of all that.  And out of
that, a trustworthy (not some abstractly perfect) outcome is achieved.  By
trustworthy, to be clear, I mean that the result shows care for the ultimate
recipients of the work and when there are breakdowns, they are resolved in a
manner that demonstrates that care.

It seems then, that having some sort of blanket policy one way or the other is
about some magical view of a perfection where there is none to be found, only
folks stumbling along doing their best.  We want to honor that, and the guiding
principle is that community is where it arises.

 - Dennis

PS: From another context, but one that might be useful here: To be trustworthy,
one must first be willing to trust.  (From this, you could surmise why I
personally find ALv2 preferable to GPL in the work that I do and why I find
ASF's approach to serving the public good so harmonious.)