On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <c...@apache.org> wrote:

>  >
> > > The question is not to decide if C-T-R is The Apache Way over R-T-C.
> The
> > > question is wether a project entering incubation with a selected R-T-C
> > > mode is likely to exit incubation for the simple reason it will be very
> > > hard for this project to grow its community due to this choice. It's
> > > like starting a 100m race with a 20kb backpack on your shoulder...
> > >

> > If you have any statistics that show this to be the case, I'd be very
> > interested. RTC is the norm in basically every Apache project I've been a
> > part of, many of which have thriving communities and are generally
> regarded
> > as successful software projects.
>
> Do you have any statistics on that, Todd? Would be very interesting to see,
> indeed.

I don't have incubator stats... nor do I have a good way to measure "most
active" or "most successful" projects in the ASF (seems that itself could
be a 'centithread'-worthy discussion). But a potential proxy could be the
number of stars on github:
https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=user%3Aapache&type=Repositories&ref=searchresults
 (sort by number of stars)

Of the top ten:

Spark: RTC via github pull request
Storm: RTC (https://storm.apache.org/documentation/BYLAWS.html see "Code
Change")
Cassandra: RTC (based on my skimming the commit log which has "Reviewed by"
quite often)
CouchDB: RTC (http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html see "RTC" section)
Kafka: RTC (based on "Reviewed by" showing up in recent commit logs)
Thrift: CTR
Mesos: RTC (based on reviewboard links in most of the recent commits)
Zookeeper: RTC (based on personal experience and comments above in this
thread)
Cordova: CTR (based on
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/committer-workflow.md
)
Hadoop: RTC (based on personal experience)

Briefly looking through the #11 through #30 projects I also see a
substantial number which operate on RTC (and others for which I don't know)

So, I don't think there's much evidence that RTC prevents a project from
becoming successful in the eyes of the developer community. Also worth
noting that several of these are relatively new TLPs (i.e. within the last
~3 years) whereas others are quite old but still active and successful.

-Todd