As an engineer that's not an expert at legal stuff I was wondering if there
isn't a way to solve this with tooling ?

I've seen a few Maven plugins out there but they don't seem to work properly,
especially for binary distributions.

I've started a plugin myself here [1] but it's still in heavy development.
Basically it's aimed at help building license and notice files for binary
distributions by scanning all the jars in a directory recursively, trying to
find notice, license or Pom.xml files and I was even then looking at connecting
it to scm systems or using search.maven.org to find project metadata.

But better conventions on the format and content of the files that would make
automated processing easier would also be a great thing, but that might be too
late already.

Cheers,
  Serge

[1] https://github.com/sergehuber/Legal-Maven-Plugin

Serge Huber
CTO & Co-Founder

T +41 22 361 3424
9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
jahia.com
SKYPE | LINKEDIN | TWITTER | VCARD