On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> What we put in NOTICE is policy right rather than a
> legal requirement so I guess 3rd parties can do just about anything and
> that’s OK?

The Apache License 2.0 doesn't restrict what can go in NOTICE.  You could put
the lyrics to "Happy Birthday" in there.  Or the complete works of William
Shakespeare.  Or the copyright history of the Wu Tang Clan catalog.

Roy used to have to work hard to persuade Apache projects not to use NOTICE
for crediting contributors, or as a change log.

All of that stuff would be pointless but legal in NOTICE.

But larding up NOTICE with that kind of garbage makes it more expensive for
downstream consumers who are making good faith efforts to comply with our
licensing.  And so it is the policy of the ASF that LICENSE and NOTICE be kept
minimal.

    http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#licensing-documentation

    ... LICENSE and NOTICE MUST NOT provide unnecessary information about
    materials which are not bundled in the package, such as separately
    downloaded dependencies.

Marvin Humphrey