On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Makoto Yui <m...@treasure-data.com> wrote:

>> Two of the areas that I'd like to explicitly solicit IPMC's opinion
>> on are:
>>
>>     1. whether the process of re-licensing from LGPL to ALv2
>>      was enough given the ASF's strict IP policies
>
> The initial release was LGPL v2.1 but I changed the project license
> to APL v2 on Mar 16, 2015.
> The current codebase does not have dependencies to LGPL.
>
> I guess there are some other projects migrated from LGPL to ALv2
> before becoming to Apache projects.
>
> For example, Apache OpenOffice was LGPL in the past release
> before joining to Apache.
> https://www.openoffice.org/license.html

To make a codebase available under an additional license, you need the
permission of all copyright holders. While it was overseen by Sun and
Oracle, OpenOffice.org required copyright assignment -- so at the time
it came to the ASF, Oracle was the sole copyright holder. That gave
Oracle the ability to issue the new license unilaterally.

If a codebase has multiple copyright holders, you have to track them
all down individually and secure permission. If there are any people
whose permission cannot be obtained, then their contributions must be
excised and replaced, if possible. This has been done for several
projects at the ASF, but it's not easy.

Two questions present themselves regarding the relicensing of
Hivemall. Who were the copyright holders at the time of relicensing?
How was their permission secured?

Marvin Humphrey