On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Makoto Yui <m...@treasure-data.com> wrote:
> Hi Marvin,

>> Looking at the Github history, though, it seems that there were pull requests
>> and issues file by others prior to the Mar 16, 2015 relicensing. Were there
>> any contributions made before then by people not employed by AIST?
>>
>> If everyone worked for AIST, then there is no problem.  However, if there
>> were
>> substantial (copyrightable) contributions from people not employed by AIST
>> pre-dating the relicensing, then it will be necessary to contact the
>> copyright
>> holders and secure their permission to license under the ALv2.
>
> There are 5 individuals, excluding project committers, sent pull requests
> to the project before moving to ALv2: smly, y-tag, ryukobayashi,
> spiritloose, and takahi-i.
>
> All of contributions are recorded in github and there are no other
> contributions
> that are not listed in github.
>
> So, I can try to get I-CLA from them, in addition to committer's I-CLA sign,
> in the incubation process. I think I can get permissions from them.
>
> Is I-CLA adequate or e-mail based confirmation is enough?
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

At this point what we really need from them is the agreement to
license their work out to ASF. This is what SGA is typically for.
I see no problem with multiple SGAs being sent to the ASF secretary.
One from your company and one from each individual contributor.

>> So long as it is possible to figure out the true origin of all code from the
>> project history, problems of permission can usually be resolved.  What's more
>> difficult to resolve is stuff like copy/pasting without attribution, so that
>> code from somewhere else appears to be the work of a different author.  (I
>> have no reason to think any such issues exist other than the mild confusion
>> of
>> this thread, which could arise due to many factors including the language
>> barrier or my own misunderstandings.)  If you know of anything like that in
>> the
>> project history I'd suggest communicating privately.  If not, then no
>> problem.
>
> I think what we have to do is listing Copyrights and Licenses in NOTICE file
> as seen in
> https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/NOTICE#L86
>
> Is my understanding right?
>
> All copyrights are left in the code and borrowed codes are licensed
> MIT/BSD/Apache licenses only. We can list them to NOTICE file.
>
> I never borrowed or used GPL/LGPL/MPL licensed codes, always taking care of
> it.
>
> To summarize your concern, we have three things to do during the
> incubation process:
> 1) getting SGA from AIST,
> 2) getting I-CLA from contributors/committers, and
> 3) listing dependencies in the NOTICE file.
>
> We can remove or rewrite if there are some codes that should not be used
> in the Apache project, e.g., GPL licensed one.
> I think there are not such code in Hivemall though.

You're on the right track. Also, if the IP is clean, the mechanical portion of
making sure the project's LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct can be
done as part of your first steps in the Incubator. This will hold your
first release
out of ASF, but will not block you from entering the Incubation.

Thanks,
Roman.