On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> First of all, the way apache org is setup on GitHub make me 99% sure
>> that the only artifacts allowed there would be release ones.
>>
>> If we agree on that, I see no problem with
>>    apache/incubator-foo
>> naming of your *released* Docker images.
>>

> There is from an eventually a TLP stand point.  apache/guacd and
> apache/incubator-guacd are not the same.  I wouldn't be able to migrate an
> instance from one to the other.  I'd actually recommend the incubating part
> in the version #, similar to what we do for most other artifacts, so that
> it becomes apache/guacd/1.0.0-incubating

Sure. I was just commenting on the Mike's point of naming an artifact
with a prefix (which WILL be the most clear way to designate an
incubating project). That said version should be borderline OK too,
but I'd like others to chime in first. My problem with version/tag is that
Docker workflow hides it pretty well for most of the default use cases.
Thus the notion of advertising an incubation status *may* be not as
strongly present.

>> Note that there was a separate discussion focused on where is the right
>> place for nightly/snapshot Docker builds to be deposited to.
>>
>> Sadly, that discussion bore no fruit :-(
>>

> Was there?  I would love to get discussing about that.  Not for an
> incubating project but for a TLP.   I share concerns about "latest" but
> also see benefit to developers being able to use a "LATEST" tagged
> pre-release.

There was:
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/infrastructure/201608.mbox/%3CCA+DCeTG4=yrG8aoj=rvu8o71vjmeutndd5cyjkxialktxwt...@mail.gmail.com%3E

FWIW, I say that we should just adopt a repository.apache.org approach
and declare that nightly/snapshot Docker images can only be distributed
from our own Docker repo. That way there's absolutely 0 chance anybody
can get them by accident.

Thanks,
Roman.