On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org> wrote:

> All, setting aside the Docker Hub vs. Apache-hosted hub vs. bintray
> discussion for the moment,

The issue of hub.docker.com/r/apache/* has been worked out in principle with
Infra.  Only official releases will be be built, and `latest` will point to
an image based on the last official release.  The plan has not yet been
implemented, but now you know what to expect in the future.

See the infrastructure@apache thread (login required):

    https://s.apache.org/euyI

> are there any specific opinions regarding
> the original issue: the actual namespacing of the podling images
> themselves?

>     apache/incubator-guacamole:0.9.10-incubating
>     apache/incubator-guacd:0.9.10-incubating

Using how we name Git repos as precedent, the image address would be:

    apache/incubator-guacamole
    apache/incubator-guacamole-guacd

... and with tags:

    apache/incubator-guacamole:0.9.10-incubating
    apache/incubator-guacamole-guacd:0.9.10-incubating

>     - Seems redundant (incubator, incubating), graduation would break
>       compatibility (see Maven best practices [1])

I agree that it would be best not to break compat on graduation.

>     apache/guacamole:0.9.10-incubating
>     apache/guacd:0.9.10-incubating

Or, matching up with our (post-graduation) Git repo naming
convention again:

    apache/guacamole
    apache/guacamole-guacd

    apache/guacamole:0.9.10-incubating
    apache/guacamole-guacd:0.9.10-incubating

I think this is best.  However, it bugs me that users are not provided with
adequate disclaimers for the common case that fetches `latest` as the default
tag:

    docker pull apache/guacamole

I don't have any ideas beyond requiring a prominent incubation disclaimer on
the repo info page at https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/$REPO/ .

Marvin Humphrey