Just an idea for the binary distribution question (probably a crazy one):

We could distribute those plugins to maven.central and simply maintain a list
of plugins with the GAV coordinates in the core project.

Ofc we would need to talk with Maven folks about that idea first. And also
probably with Sonatype which hosts many parts of maven.central in cooperation
with the Apache Maven PMC.
Installing a new plugin would be as easy as entering the maven coordinates.

The other aspect would be if there is any source hosting service for custom
plugins which are built with the Netbeans CI. But it sounds like they just got
uploaded in binary form.

LieGrue,
strub