Based on my experience, the term "incubating" is inferred (without my
digging around) as a beta/alpha quality release.  Things may change, not
necessarily for production usage.  It ends up giving a negative connotation
to the quality of the release contents, instead of clearly defining it as a
release that may have ASF-incompatible contents.

I can say, specific to the case of freemarker, I had two different vendors
tell me (when I asked why they were using older versions) that the ASF
releases weren't ready to be used, and they pointed to the incubating
suffix.  So I unfortunately know the problem Daniel's bringing up.  I'll
also say that the problem isn't specific to freemarker, so while Daniel's
points come across for his own selfish means, my points are to make this a
broader catch.  I've even had people tell me they won't use certain TLP
software because it contains incubating contents (granted, I won't use
something that explicitly says alpha in it).

I get the points Martjin's trying to make.  However, I feel the scope of
this is beyond any one podling.  How can we expect a community to grow
around something being labeled as "not ready for prime time?"  I also
challenge the notion of incubating being a warning sign of failing.  I see
more TLPs retire than I see incubating projects retire.

I'll point out that this silly maven "process" is not carried over to other
technologies.  So when, for instance, projects are pushed via pypi, they
don't include -incubating.

John