The original question in this thread is much less generic than in the
linked one though, so it's certainly easier to answer. Just as a
reminder, the specialities are these:

- This project already have suffixless releases from before
  incubation, which are widely used. If the incubation fails, those
  versions won't be any better that the incubating ones. After all, ASF
  won't go around and delete those releases from the Maven Central,
  from SF.net, etc.

- The project doesn't have an org.apache.* Maven groupId, nor a such
  Java package (in 2.x.x, because of backward compatibility, and we
  are talking about 2.x.x only here). So as far as I see it's quite
  unlikely that the user will see "Apache" without "incubating"
  because we have removed it from the *Maven* version number, at least
  if we change <name>Apache FreeMarker</name> in the POM to
  <name>Apache FreeMarker (incubating)</name>.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany