First of all: this vote is turning into a discussion that should happen in
a separate thread....

+1 Drop the -incubator/-incubating expectation of maven projects

It is not the code that is incubating.

Whether a project of the ASF has a status (podling, tlp, attic, etc.) is
irrelevant for the code. The code is donated/owned by the ASF, and tasks to
ensure that the code released is in conformance of the standards of the ASF
is delegated to the project. In the case of podlings, that responsibility
is delegated to the IPMC.
That a new project is going through the incubation phase is to ensure that
the community works in accordance with the principles and regulations of
the ASF (community over code, and such), and that the code is reworked to
something that can be released as code of the ASF.

For some open source is like a red flag. An addition like 'incubating'
could be regarded as worse. Is that what the ASF wants? This kind of
addition doesn't instil trust. It may influence potential adopters to stay
away of the code until the project has successfully gone through
incubation, It may influence potential contributors to not contribute until
graduation.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>