Hi,

Sorry but it’s -1 binding due to unexpected binary in source release and can’t
compile from source. There are some license and notice issue that also need to
be sorted.

I checked:
- signatures and hashes exist
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE needs some work  (has a “\n” in plain text in it btw)
- NOTICE is OK but has incorrect year (also a “\n”)
- Unexpected binaries in source release (see below)
- Source files have ASF headers
- Can’t compile from source

Source release contains several unexpected binary files:
./sparkr-interpreter/src/main/resources/sparkr_bundle.tar.gz
./sparkr-interpreter/src/main/resources/R/pkg/inst/test_support/sparktestjar_2.10-1.0.jar
./scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/TestJar2.jar
./scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/ScalaTestJar.jar
./scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/TestJar.jar

Several of these contain compiled code.

For the license file:
- Why does it contain a list of copyrights?
- Why does it include dependancies, only 3rd party code bundled with the
release should be mentioned in license. [1]
- In fact I can see no obvious 3rd party code in the release. Is any 3rd party
code bundled in the release?
- If there is 3rd party code have the original headers has been replaced with
an ASF headers?

Following the release instruction I did a make dev and got "make: *** No rule
to make target `etc/legal/LICENSE_extras', needed by
`dist/toree-legal/LICENSE'.  Stop.”. Is something missing from the release? It
may just be that my environment is not set up.

A nice to have the artefacts signed with an apache email rather than a gmail
address.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle