Background, from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13804

With this feedback and review, I believe we're still operating as expected.

* Per current policy, IPMC members have commit privileges on all Incubator
repositories.
* The above is effected through the use of a private GitHub Team
* According to users' GitHub preferences, they will Watch new repositories
* GitHub is sending notifications of changes, per Watch selections

The "answer" here is to Unwatch repositories, as appropriate, and/or
to alter the GitHub user account preference for auto-Watching new
repositories.

Here's my case:

I believe that asking all IPMC members that request access to *any* ASF github repository to get notification emails on *all* incubator projects that participate in the gitbox experiment is unreasonable.

I believe that asking all IPMC members to individually unwatch each and every repository as they are created is unreasonable.

I believe that asking all IPMC members to uncheck "Automatically watch" is unreasonable as it (a) will result in people being notified for new repositories that they should be watching, and (b) presumes that people are not participating/watching in other non-ASF GitHub repositories.

Accordingly, Since I do believe that it is reasonable for every ASF member to get email on all ASF repositories that they have commit privileges to, I am asking that the IPMC revisit the current policy that all IPMC members have commit privileges on all Incubator repositories.

I believe that the alternative is technically feasible: have each podling manage a list of committers for that podling:

https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/

- Sam Ruby