We have a similar issue in Polygene, but the internal version is simply the
expected version, say 1.2.3 and the RC has the different file name. No
packagers will ever get the -RC named artifact and no confusion is among
community members as they are aware of this. IF the RC passes, then the
rename can happen. IF the RC doesn't happen, you can rebuild with new
content and same internal version.

Cheers
Niclas