On 6 June 2017 at 04:22, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> As a follow up to my prior question, (
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/31119aafbc4260720d222666f3efd01f2fe2975e424039ea539c9cb6@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
> ).
> Looking at our current tracking file for podlings, I wonder how much of the
> information is useful.  Let's use Traffic Control as a for instance here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafficcontrol.html (its nothing
> they're doing bad, I just happened to grab them)

However their status file does not contain the full range of data that
is normally present.
e.g. no website link, no repo link, no champion/mentors

> - The committer list is fully replaced by the Whimsy Roster Tool
> - Do we care about News? Shouldn't this be captured in the quarterly
> reports?

It's easier for outsiders to read here.
It perhaps encourages the podling to think about progress.

> - I see a lot of usefulness in tracking the Podling Name Search request
> - The first few questions have to do with the actual vote.  I think these
> can best be captured by two fields - "Sponsor" and "Date Accepted into
> Incubator"
> - Infra section - I think all of these are important, we may want to expand
> some of the options to include gitbox and other tools that are managed
> outside our hosted infrastructure.
> - Mentor section - I'm not sure how useful this is, but I want to get
> others opinions.  Mentors being on the IPMC is a pre-req for votes, so this
> is hopefully less of an issue.
> - Copyright - I believe this can be replaced by a single field "Date SGA
> Received".  Copyright headers are subjective.
> - Add a new field "Date of IP Clearance" for projects using IP Clearance
> instead of SGA (e.g. already Apache v2)
> - Verify Distribution Rights - I think this can be rewritten to instead say
> "Date of Release with no Source Licensing Issues" (listing out the bullet
> points mentioned here) and a new field "Date of Release with no Binary
> Licensing Issues" (indicating some of the Cat-B/Optional Cat-X stuff)
> - I don't think we need the committers section at the bottom, since the
> roster would be controlled from Whimsy itself.
>
> Is there more information that we could leverage to make this easier to
> watch?  I figure that once a podling has filled out all of these (except
> for one of SGA/IP Clearance) we can tell them they're close to graduation.

I find the status files useful for quickly finding information about a
project that would otherwise require a trawl of lots of pages of the
website.
It also allows the PPMC to record info about the project (e.g. git
repo, JIRA etc) before the website has been set up.

It is useful beyond just tracking progress to graduation/retirement.

Having a single page to show summary info and track the status is
something I think we should keep.
But I agree it needs to be easier to maintain and it should be obvious
when bits of information are missing.

This would be easier to do if the page were generated from properly
structured data files.

Could the data all be handled in podlings.xml?
Or should podlings.xml be split into individual files?