On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> There's also this:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775?
> focusedCommentId=14513325&page=com.atlassian.jira.
> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14513325
>
> which I find very intriguing.
>
> But I've got to say -- we need INFRA (Greg?) to tell us what they are
> and what they are NOT
> willing to do to enable something like that.

If the query is pushed out to the DNS substrate of the Internet, then Infra
really doesn't have much to support :-) ... we'll happily add DNS records
for such.

> If the default is not much -- I think we have no choice but to say
> that since ASF can't
> provide the infrastructure to reliable and securely collect user data
> project that publish
> convenience binaries off of Apache Infra shouldn't do that.

The basic policy of Infra is that we'll offer what we can within the budget
given to us by the Board. When an individual project requests resources,
then (again) we'll do what we can for them. You'll see this in daily
make-work, but also in the provision of "project VMs" where we provision a
VM/resources dedicated to a specific project.

However, we have run into an occurrence where a project's VM ran well past
any/all resources that we could provide within the Infrastructure budget
provided by the Board. As a result, we had to shut it down, or the project
needed to request specific budget from the Board to keep that system
running.

So. We can and will do all that we can. If the request is still pretty
nebulous/unclear, then bring it to users@infra for some early discussion.
Once it gets concrete, then file a ticket. We'll go from there.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF