I think the problem is serious. I also think that signoff rate is a better
metric in practice than it seems it would be.

Adding the additional metric seems like a small step that could help.

Being aggressive about removing non-mentors is a very good idea. It is best
if mentors remove themselves, but it is imperative that the incubator has a
realistic idea about how many mentors there really are.