I’m talking about directories inside the .tar.gz too.

Currently there is a leading directory. This is good:

$ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -3
drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/
drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/client/
-rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/client/pom.xml

No leading directory would be bad (in my opinion):

$ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -2
drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 client/
-rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32 client/pom.xml

A leading directory named after the release would be better:

$ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -3
drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/
drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32
apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/client/
-rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32
apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/client/pom.xml

Julian