Hi Li,De -

Since I agreed to champion this project I think that we need a summary about
what the Incubator PMC cares about in order to accept a podling. What the
prospective project needs to address. We also need to be clear what should
happen during Incubation and at what time. I think that many of the questions
that came up in this thread had to do with assessing how much effort it will
take to Incubate Palo (or whatever the name will be)

(1) The name Palo. Since there seems to be an issue with that name we should
have a new name. It is not unknown for a podling to change its name, but that
does generate extra work for Infrastructure to change the name after podling
start up. It would be our preference for Palo to find a new name prior to
VOTING on the proposal. Please do this elsewhere and come back to me with the
new name so that I can help with the updated proposal.

(2) Licensing of the software. Several bits came up as questionable. Regardless
of cleanup that has already occurred we have identified that we will need to be
very careful. It will be important to discuss and carefully handle the Software
Grant Agreement to make sure that the source listed is correct. I think that
the SGA must come early during incubation.

(3) Relationship with Impala. Palo has apparently forked portions of Impala.
This means that some are concerned that there is a missed synergy with the
Apache Impala project. Is there a clean interface that can be built between the
projects? It would help if the Palo developers would explore this with Impala
at d...@impala.apache.org <mailto:d...@impala.apache.org>.

That said, part of the Incubation process is to learn the Apache Way. IMHO it
is ok for the relationship between Impala PMC and a pooling PPMC to be a work
in process.

(4) Currently, Willem, Luke Han and Dave Fisher are qualified to officially
mentor. I suggest that Sijie Guo and Zheng Shao be included as Initial
Committers in order to help from within the PPMC.

> On Jun 14, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> I don't want to be a stickler, but I don't think "For issues mentioned by
> Jim, Todd and Tim, I have replied on last Saturday."
>
> To my email about Palo being an ASF project as a storage system without a
> query engine, you replied only, "We will seriously consider this proposal."
>
> I see no response to Tim's concern that "The code isn't owned by any
> individual, I contributed it to Apache and it's
> free for anyone to do what they want to do with it, but pulling in
> improvements from other projects without any attempt to attribute it or
> contribute improvements back seems contrary to the Apache way.”

Jim - do you need answers to these concerns prior to agreeing to accept this
project into the Incubator?

Regards,
Dave