Obviously, lots of informational activity occurs off the mailing list. A
great example is answering questions on stack overflow. And ApacheCon talks
which actually led to certain decisions being made should definitely be
echoed back to the mailing list.

But apart from all of that GitHub issues should definitely be mirrored back
to the mailing list.  There's no way to justify that an issue tracker is
not echoed back.