Julian,

Since binaries are provided as a convenience with no official standing, it
doesn't matter if the "binaries" are "verified" or not.  They could contain a
virus or other malware.  Users take the risks.

However, folks have used the policy you reference to come up with several
checks such as:

1) Does the binary run (and pass tests)?
2) Is the list of files the same as the results of building the source package?
3) Do the LICENSE and NOTICE contain the required information from bundled
binaries?
4) Do the JAR files contain the correct LICENSE and NOTICE files for the
content of the JARs.

HTH,
-Alex