On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 10:43, Mick Semb Wever <m...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.
>

> Digging into this more…
>
> It looks there's also been troubles subscribing from China, or more accurate
> receiving the confirm subscription emails from apache to chinese inboxes.
> (And it wouldn't surprise me if after creating a new mail accounts and
> getting things to work, folk would be forgetting then about
> private@skywalking )
>
> There's some oddity like Yao Wang who is subscribed to dev ML but is not
> getting the confirm email using the same email address for the private ML.
>
> For example:
> ```
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <private-tc.1551689265.dkffilnheganngfmokmf-allen.wang.123=outlook....@skywalking.apache.org>:
> ezmlm-manage: fatal: Illegal or outdated moderator request (#5.7.1)
> ```

The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.

> Indeed if I look through my inbox I see some of those missing from the
> private ML having matching "CONFIRM subscribe to
> priv...@skywalking.apache.org" emails. But they say they did not get those
> emails.
>
> Folk are also just using the list.apache.org website, which is of no surprise
> considering the above errors. We'll continue with this, as the Chinese
> communities will need to have this sorted out, but we do believe that all
> have attempted to subscribe.
>
> Is there a reason that people with @apache.org addresses have to manually
> subscribe to these lists, if it's so mandatory?
>
> I would have thought this is something that should just then be automatic,
> and then in this situation it's just the problem of ensuring the @apache.org
> address is successfully forwarding emails.

People may wish to subscribe using a different email from the one to
which their ASF email is forwarded.

Subscription by the PPMC member achieves both the above:
- choice of email address
- validation that the address can get emails

It also means that the person is aware that the private@ list is
something they need to follow.