On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:50 PM Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Point me to where you are not allowed to make non-official podling
> releases
> > that conform to Incubator policy.
>
> I find that hard to parse and perhaps you meant don’t conform to incubator
> policy? But either way it’s not incubators policy, it’s the boards and
> infra policy.

I was providing the converse: has the IPMC been told *not* to make podling
releases? Where such releases conform to its own policy, rather than the
Foundation policy?

I'm stipulating that "podling release" != "Foundation release", so
different policies apply.

> I think  that approving a release [1], or publication [2] might be your
> answer, where it states “Projects SHALL publish official releases and SHALL
> NOT publish unreleased materials outside the development community.”. Does
> that cover it?

I'm saying that a "podling release" is not an "official [Foundation]
release".

> > Throw on a disclaimer that the podling release is not a Foundation
> > release (already being done!) and you're good to go.
>
> The disclaimer doesn’t state that or anything about releases. [3] Perhaps
> it should?

The disclaimer says "the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF".
So I'm saying that the podling release does not have to conform to ASF
release policy because it is *explicitly stated* that it is not a release
endorsed by the Foundation.

Cheers,
-g