On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM Hen <bay...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 11:53 Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 1:22 PM Hen <bay...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > * Incubating releases are Apache releases.
> >
> > That is demonstrably not true, as (historically) the Incubator has made
> > releases with GPL'd code in them (eg. Hibernate).
>
> I don’t understand the choice of words :(
>
> To me that is an Apache release which did not adhere, or had an exception,
> to foundation policy. I assume it was offered from an Apache url.
>
> If it wasn’t from an Apache url, then it wasn’t an Incubating release.

Tarballs on our server, falling under different release guidelines. In my
emails on this topic, I've been trying to distinguish between "podling
releases" and "Apache releases". As Ralph said, why a disclaimer, if there
isn't a difference in the nature of these tarballs/releases?

Historically, demonstrably, we have applied a different policy to "podling
releases" that is a bit more lenient. Once the podling graduates, it must
conform to the formal Apache release guidelines.

Cheers,
-g