The content of a release and the downstream limitations on field of use are
not a matter of legal shield. It has always been the case that the
fundamental promise of Apache has been that Apache software is easy and
safe to adopt and use.

Easy and safe meaning that you won't have nasty surprises like somebody
suing you for "being evil" or, worse, having your own lawyers veto a
critical release because a dependency of a dependency is GPL licensed or is
restricted from being used in anything that competes with smart plumbing
accessories.

Getting the foundation to relax that attitude of no downstream restrictions
is going to be nearly impossible.