It depends on the definition of optional dependency. Weex targets iOS, Android
and Browser environment and Webkit header files and shared library are only
bundled for Android environment. As for other environments, the OS or browser
itself has exposed enough API for Weex.

PS: I am pretty sure that the iOS system itself uses almost the same code of
Webkit as Weex does to build its WKWebView. It’s really strange that’s ok for
Weex iOS and not ok for Weex Android.