Hi,

thanks Justin for bringing that up.
I have perhaps a different perspective than many others because I was / am
mostly active in several podlings and just very recently became IPMC member (no
apache member).

But, assuming that each podling has three active mentors, each podling should
have 3 +1 IPMC vote before the RC goes to general@ and then is, as Sebb says
below basically a "lazy" consensus vote as 3 +1 are present and if no one
throws in a -1 it will pass regularly and is a regular release.

This brings me to the point. The assumption "three active mentors" is pretty
strong.
In the podlings I have been active with I observed three categories of Mentors:

- generally present (best!)
- usually not present but active in VOTE threads or report signoff (so-so)
- not active at all

So from my perspective we should really work on the Mentor activity then the
"voting" problem becomes minor.
I have no opinion of whether ASF Members should be allowed to simply step into
IPMC or not (Members should be expected to bring everything which is needed for
a valuable decision making, I guess).
But, I think its to "easy" to become mentor of a project.
So I would rather argue that not each IPMC member should automatically become a
possible Mentor.
To become Mentor should be based on the experience / track record in "the
apache way" as already stated by others like Sheng.

Also I think our current practice of just saying "Interesting project, count me
in as Mentor" is not good as this leads exactly to the situation I described
above.
So I would suggest to make the Mentor assignment somewhat binding, e.g. by IPMC
Vote or some other process and to force in the "activity" of mentors.
I have no detailed idea how this should be done but if Mentors regularily do
not vote on Podling releases and do not signoff podling reports this is a sign
that perhaps another mentor has to step in.
If we ensure that each podling always has 3 ACTIVE mentors, than most IPMC
Release Votes become LAZY votes.

This should, from my perspective, be the main goal to focus on.

Julian

Am 10.08.19, 13:55 schrieb "sebb" <seb...@gmail.com>:

    On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 12:45, Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> wrote:

    > Another variation/option for those using the WIP disclaimer might be that
    > since the WIP disclaimer kind of says this release doesn't have "full
    > official" status from an ASF point of view then one way of thinking about
    > it is that perhaps full official IPMC endorsement is less of a requirement
    > so IPMC voting could be 3 days but lazy. If you don't get more -1 votes
    > than +1 votes after 3 days, you can go ahead and publish. Outside WIP
    > disclaimer projects, if there are projects which are repeatedly not
getting
    > enough IPMC votes, then IPMC membership by an experienced PPMC member
could
    > be considered as an option, so +1 for your (D) I believe.
    >
    > I have no problem giving +1 to (E) at all but in reality, it is almost no
    > effort for the 3 mentioned IPMC members on the dev list to just +1 the
IPMC
    > vote, so are we picking up the real problem podlings?

    If the IPMC members have +1ed the vote on the dev list, won't these
    votes count if the vote is continued on the general@ list?
    Do they really have to re-affirm their votes?

    I agree that the issue seems to be more about podlings with
    insufficient/inactive IPMC reviewers.

    > On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 3:04 PM Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > One of the incubator pain points is the double voting on releases first
by
    > > the podling and then by the IPMC.
    > >
    > > Historically there been a lot of discussion about this and a couple of
    > > proposals to try and change it, but none have been accepted. There have
    > > been proposals on alternative ways to vote and to ask for guidances
which
    > > have been accepted, but podlings don’t seem to take these options up.
I’m