See further below for an unfortunately trimmed thread. A couple paragraphs
that I wrote early-thread are important to add:

----
Option (F): stop calling them official ASF releases, which means PMC votes
are not required.
----

> In that case voting would not be required and they wouldn’t have to follow
> ASF policy.

Right.

> If they are not official releases then we probably can’t release or
> distribute them on ASF infrastructure.

I see no problem with using our infrastructure to distribute F/OSS
materials. Why would the Foundation want to be against that? If it is
labeled properly, then ... roll with it. We distribute a *ton* of stuff
that wasn't produced by the ASF. We incorporate that stuff into a larger
work, but it isn't "ours". Yet we put it onto our servers.

Clearly, these bits and bobs and blobs *are* intended to be F/OSS. Maybe
somebody thinks a LICENSE file isn't correct, so maybe ACME Inc. can't use
it ... but John and Jane and Joe certainly want to, and *can*. Isn't that
our goal?
----

I see no problems with the purported "risk" mentioned below. Would some
mis-licensing occur? Likely. Is it material to the Foundation's mission?
Nah. What if something appears on our servers without a clear F/OSS
license? Does John or Jane care? Nopes. But we fix it in a future release.
Move along, everybody is happy.

I'd like to see the IPMC get out of the way of the podlings' releases. I
see no reason for us to be a gate, and many more reasons to back off and
let podlings get their work done.

Cheers,
-g