From: Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:22:26 AM
To: general <general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Business decisions and risk (was: [DISCUSS] IPMC votes on releases)

Hi Ted,

This subthread as named by Greg is really about this:

> On Aug 11, 2019, at 5:56 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> See further below for an unfortunately trimmed thread. A couple paragraphs
> that I wrote early-thread are important to add:
>
> ----
> Option (F): stop calling them official ASF releases, which means PMC votes
> are not required.
> ——

I am for option (F) with the addition of Myrle’s [REVIEW] until such time as
the podling is fully compliant with Apache Release Policy and goes through the
usual process. Abiding by the Apache Release Policy would remain a Graduation
Requirement.

So, we treat these releases as not fully approved the same way we treat Binary
Conveniences.

I think that this pattern grows the PPMC into a true PMC better by expecting
that licensing issues which require vigilance become part of the Project’s DNA
in a more organic way.

Regards,
Dave