Hi Daniel

There are several things you should consider
1. The incubator expects your community(the group of people maintaining the
project) has several active developers.
2. The community could have the consensus of willing to join the incubator
and follow the Apache Way.

> However, none of the documents states exactly how I am supposed to
recruit a champion and mentors or where I should find them.

Your feeling about the difficulties and challenges of finding mentors are
real. Usually, there are two ways
1. All IPMC(The PMC of the Incubator) members could be the mentor
2. All Apache members and officers could be the champion.
All the responsibilities of the mentor team are helping to understand and
follow the Apache way to build and expand your community, including have
more developers and users.

The ASF has members all over the world, you may try to ask around. Also, if
there is no progress there, you could consider preparing the proposal and
ask for mentors here.
If the project is interesting for some of the IPMC, they will show up and
ask to be a mentor.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Daniel Widdis <wid...@gmail.com> 于2020年11月24日周二 下午12:15写道: