As you know, originally there were essentially 2 different options for us
during this incubation when dealing with the existing codebase:
1) Get the code donated, granted, however you want to call it.
Unfortunately nobody could be found to even decide on this issue for all
sorts of reasons that are not very positive but recognizable when original
developers stop working on the codebase (fired, left, ...).
2) Perform a substantial amount of changes to the original codebase.  In
retrospect this was something that needed to be done anyway since the
codebase is around 20 years old.  But essentially that is the route that
was taken.  It's actually pretty much all we've been doing: writing new
tools, GUI, re-writing code, replacing code, changing APIs and so on.

This process was reviewed and obviously completed as part of our
acceptance into the incubation process.  It involved not hundreds but
thousands of files Justin.  Nothing survived the refactoring onslaught but
obviously bits and pieces will be recognizable.  It is what it is.

Now that being said, we do have permissions from a few developers regarding
the inclusion of their code.  We'll see about getting a more formal SGA
there.