My understanding is the plugin was originally started as a repo or work by
Sander (
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/commits/master?after=5e7ccfea50810303a6b205084fb6f0b3eade33ca+314&branch=master)
who contributed it to the Hashicorp Github org like many other community
providers and then got it eventually transferred back.

>From ACS PMC point of view we're going to take the risk as we've ICLA and
grants from Sander and agreements over email from all the top contributors.
I've also gotten emails from other participants including Sander who shared
their frustration, we've jumped through all the hoops and done our best to
reach so far, I think Justin you had advised us to get all major
contributors to agree in the other legal thread but now suddenly we are
advised to get ICLAs too and from all the contributors. The examples you've
provided don't have ICLAs or agreements from all contributors.

Originally I did attempt to get Hashicorp (the company, mainly a manager
and their CTO) to do the CCLA etc but they weren't interested and didnt
want to get involved but agreed to transfer the repo back to Sander. From
what I understand the project wasn't Hashicorp company project but was
started by Sander, was then under their Github org but eventually archived.
>From email exchanges I had with Hashicorp it would unlikely their CTO or
managers be suing any parties for the initiatives and in fact offered to
work with ACS community in publishing the Terraform provider under ACS
official registry. As far as we had inquired Hashicorp the company has no
interest in maintaining the project any further, but users in ACS community
need it to be supported. Sander could you confirm if I got anything wrong?
Thanks.

Regards.