On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 5:08 AM Sheng Wu <wu.sheng.841...@gmail.com> wrote:

> SGA is not required if the project is on a personal repository, this

SGAs can apply for individuals and corporations [1].  Doesn't matter
where it's sourced from.  We have received a number of SGAs in the past
that just represent a single individual, or non incorporated entities that
choose to be represented by a single person (see Groovy as an example).

> individual's employer(if have) is recommended to submit CCLA(but needs
> to evaluate by the owner about his contract)

The CCLA is really for the case where the employer explicitly wants an
agreement in place indicating the contributor can contribute the code.  I'm
not aware of any policy we have (at Apache) requiring it.  [2]

More comments below specific to kvrocks.

> But this isn't the Kvrocks case.
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108
>

> tison <wander4...@gmail.com> 于2022年4月25日周一 16:15写道:
> >
> > Thanks for your inputs.
> >
> > Try to summarize the discussion:
> >
> > * Apache requires a SGA from the *current* copyright holder of the
> software
> > to grant permission for ASF.

We don't actually (at least not always but it does tend to be the easiest
way to deal with it since most incubating projects are changing license).
Work with your mentors/champion to figure this out, but if a large enough
set of ICLAs is done to cover all main contributions and the source code is
already Apache licensed then you may be fine.

> > * If the current copyright holder is Meitu, then they should sign a grant
> > with Exhibit A barely "Kvrocks".
> >
> > However, if the current copyright holder is "Kvrocks contributors", since
> > it's a virtual entity, a certain contributor on behalf of the community
> > should sign the SGA.
> >
> > Did I get it right? Is there some other proposal that got into the
> > incubator without a SGA from a certain "company".

To answer this, you need to understand what the SGA is saying; IANAL.
Section 2 makes the assumption that the grantor has permissions to be the
grantor.  When Meitu granted the source code, they gave whoever full rights
to do whatever the grant said they can do.  It wouldn't be correct to ask
Meitu to file another grant, but whoever is filing the grant should ensure
that what they are doing (Section 1 of the SGA) is in compliance with that
grant, which would satisfy Section 2.  I'm assuming that KvrocksLabs isn't
a business entity, just an unincorporated group of individuals working on
the project.  It's fairly common that opensource projects merge code
together, I'm not sure the state of KvrocksLabs before the grant that Meitu
gave.

TL;DR I believe someone representing KvrocksLabs can sign a SGA with the
assumption that the original grant from Meitu created KvrocksLabs.  Ideally
that person should be whoever received the grant from Meitu.

[1]: https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#grants
[2]: https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#clas