Dear ASF Community,

In this message, as the authors of this post, we are delighted to introduce
new prospective top-level project to the Apache Software Foundation,
Material-UI-Swing.

My name is Vincenzo Palazzo, and I am the main developer and maintainer of
Material-UI-Swing. Joining me is Zoya Anderson, a contributor to the
project.

Material-UI-Swing is a modular open-source library written in Java Swing for
building sleek, modern desktop applications.  The library is currently
hosted in a GitHub repository, at this link
https://github.com/vincenzopalazzo/material-ui-swing.

Material-UI-Swing is open-source software, currently licensed
under MIT license,
https://github.com/vincenzopalazzo/material-ui-swing/blob/master/LICENSE.

The objective of Material-UI-Swing is to empower developers building
Java desktop applications with a tool to create visually appealing,
modern user interfaces.

Material-UI-Swing has been tested and proven in real-life production
software for 3 years.

Material-UI-Swing is proud to list JetBrains and YourKit as its “Supportes”
on GitHub, a testament to the quality and reliability of the library.

We believe that Material-UI-Swing project aligns with the Apache Software
Foundation (ASF)
mission of providing robust and commercially-friendly open source software.
Moreover, we are confident that the ASF's community of developers, users,
and supporters will be a great fit for Material-UI-Swing.

As the first step towards becoming a top-level project (TLP) with the ASF,
we
are seeking to enter Material-UI-Swing into the Apache Incubator.

We are seeking a Champion and Mentor(s) to guide us in this process as per
the
Apache Incubator guidelines. The role of the Champion and Mentor(s) will be
crucial
in helping us navigate the Apache community, connect with potential
contributors
and users, and build a healthy and sustainable project.

What Material-UI-Swing is useful for?

As you may know, there are many Java Swing applications that serve important
functions and cannot be, or should not be, converted to a web or mobile
platform.
Despite serving their users well, these applications may have outdated
graphical
user interfaces (GUIs) that are no longer visually appealing.

Organizations that own such applications are in need of a solution to
modernize the GUI while preserving their core functions and services.
This is where Material-UI-Swing comes in. Material-UI-Swing is a modular
look
and feel library that provides a sleek and modern look to desktop
applications.
It is a perfect solution for organizations looking to give their Java Swing
applications a "makeover" and improve the user experience.

What Material-UI-Swing does?

Material-UI-Swing is a library designed to provide a modern look-and-feel
to Java Swing applications while preserving the core and business logic.
It injects a custom UI style and theme into an application, giving it a
fresh,
modern look. The Material-UI-Swing library is built atop the Swing API,
making
it easy for developers to integrate it into their applications. With just a
simple "drop-in" of the library, developers can achieve a remarkable change
in the look-and-feel of their applications.

How Material-UI-Swing works?

The library has been designed with simplicity in mind and can be configured
at runtime or through declarative Java/Kotlin code. It embraces a
declarative
style within a Java application, inspired by modern frameworks such as
Flutter
and Jetpack Compose (which may have originally been introduced in Swift).
The architecture is summarized in the UML diagram1 and can be viewed at
https://ibb.co/MkzzSDn. Furthermore, the "docs" folder of the library's
download contains a "uml" subfolder that includes the class diagram file.

Current status

Material-UI-Swing has been under development since 2018 and in production
for
the past 3 years, and is currently stable. With 26 releases to date, the
project is hosted on GitHub at
https://github.com/vincenzopalazzo/material-ui-swing
and garners an impressive 2500 monthly downloads. Notably, Material-UI-Swing
has been successfully implemented in production for 3 years by the
planetary research team at Arizona State University.

For those looking to get started, Material-UI-Swing provides extensive
documentation and code samples which can be found
at https://github.com/vincenzopalazzo/material-ui-swing/wiki.

Why ASF?

To meet the growing demand for new features and controls and to effectively
maintain the library, the original contributors are seeking to expand the
pool of developers who can contribute to Material-UI-Swing.

Bringing the library to the Apache Software Foundation would provide a
supportive and collaborative environment for further development, as well as
increase visibility and accessibility for potential contributors and users.

As we continue to grow and improve the library, we have come to see the ASF
as
the perfect home for Material-UI-Swing. The values and principles that drive
the Apache community align with our own: user-driven innovation, customer
obsession, lively and amiable mailing list discussions, and strength through
diversity. We believe that Material-UI-Swing will not only thrive under the
guidance of the ASF, but that we will also become exemplary members of
the Apache community.

If you are interested in serving as the Champion or Mentor for
Material-UI-Swing,
or if you know someone who might be, please let us know. We would be happy
provide additional information and answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to the
opportunity
to work with the Apache community and bring Material-UI-Swing to its
full potential.

[1] Material-UI-Swing architecture is described in the UML diagram. See
https://ibb.co/MkzzSDn

Vincenzo Palazzo
Open Source Developer
Master of Computer Science student at the University of Pisa, Italy
vincenzopala...@member.fsf.org

Zoya Anderson
Scientific Software Engineer
Mars Space Flight Research Team at Arizona State University
zoya.ander...@asu.edu