At 17:14 22.02.2001 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 2/22/01 2:58 PM, "Kevin A. Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think it is worth while to make the argument that as long as it is *either*
>> GPL or APL the license can still be under Apache.  Why???   You can still use
>> the APL as much as you want... the only thing we are allowing is that now the
>> GPL camp can use our software.
>>
>> Kevin
>
>No offense Kevin, but that is a really bad argument to state in this camp.
>:-) The simple reason being that people in the GPL camp CAN use and
>distribute our software without any real restrictions.

Well, the FSF thinks otherwise. I couldn't exactly figure out why but they seem to be
pretty adamant about it.

>It is the fact that BSD zealots (including myself mind you) cannot use GPL
>software in conjunction with BSD software that is the issue. Dual licensing
>the code isn't the solution because it is a hack to work around the larger
>issue...which is the viral nature of the GPL and is something that I
>fundamentally don't believe in.

I share the same belief but I don't think it matters in this case. As I understand
dual licensing, if you don't like the GPL you can use the APL and similarly if you
don't like the APL you can use the GPL as the license. It doesn't make much sense to
me but the good old Perl is dual licensed and that seems to make everyone happy.

>The solution is simply putting a less restrictive license on the software in
>the first place and understanding that there is no need to force people to
>release changes to your source code into the larger community because if you
>have a decent community in the first place, the changes to the software will
>come back on its own eventually regardless of the license.

Absolutely agree. However, a good portion of the world does not. We should strive to
accommodate both camps. Could anyone explain what dual GPL/APL licensing really means?
Thanks in advance, Ceki