"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> Not that I should have much of a role in this discussion but I'd like to
> contribute some thoughts stemming from an offline discussion I had.

<snip/>

These are very thoughtful commnents, Andrew, I hope you post again.

It's my understanding that Apache Projects' unity of purpose is

"to encourage a collaborative, consensus-based development process"

The rest is syntatic sugar.

For the record, I do believe the PMC members took the high-road when
discussing the code conventions. The few posts about things like braces
looked like jokes to me. Most of the conversation was about whether we
should keep the conventions we have, and having them, how do we promote
their use.

Personally, I don't think Apache or Jakarta are broken. We create great
products, and have fun doing it. AFAIK, that's our only mission.

We do need more internal documentation, since it does takes some effort
to get up to speed here, and volunteers to help with this are always
welcome.

I also think we are more than ready for a POI vote, if someone were to
post an actual proposal, including the list of committers.

-Ted.