Hi Andrew,

Before trying to "organizize" too much how Open Source development works,
maybe you should consider that impositions of organization and discipline
could kill the Golden Eggs Chicken.

I can not express this POV better than Linus did in posts reported by
this article:
    http://kerneltrap.org/article.php?sid=398

Any corporation "organizizes" things and I do not see better user
understanding there.

Besides, there is no such thing as an Open Source external customer.
Those that contribute to it (the authors and even noisy guys like me)
ARE the customers.

People PAY Open Source by participating. If something is wrong FIX IT!

(Ok! I confess I learned this stuff mostly from Jon.)

If you do not like an Open Source product as it is, contribute (fight)
to change it. If most of the project owners do not let you, FORK. At
least you can learn a lot and save a lot of work.

You probably know what I am talking about since POI is Open Source.

For complex enough software, Winston Churchill's remarks about democracy
apply quite well to Open Source as we know it by rephrasing them a bit:

  "Open Source is the worse form of developing complex software, except
  all those others that have been tried."

(
The original Winston Churchill quote:
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this
world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or
all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of
Government except all those others that have been.
)

Relax and have fun, organic growing works or we wouldn't be here!
Paulo Gaspar