On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 04:01, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > Maybe we could just start having sub-catgories within Jakarta. So
> > basically Jakarta is still the top level project but we have a software
> > map underneath it that categorizes project (ie tools, xml parserns,
> > servers, whatever).
>
> How then would this work?  What about the non-Java stuff in XML land?
> Where does that go?

You mean there is non-java stuff in xml land? .... much like there is
non-java stuff in jakarta-land? Why does it have to go anywhere?

> Again, you might think the above is flip, but you are talking about
> modifying the charter here...

The charter was modified ages ago. Sure the words haven't changed but it has
been a long time since jakarta project was actually true to the words in its
charter ... see Ant the "server-side" project

So instead of accepting that we violate scope with more than half the jakarta
projects people took to inventing reasons to keep them at jakarta. ie Ant
became acceptable because it was a tool that could be used to build
serverside projects. How silly is that reason?

I have always been of the opinion that scope is a STUPID way to manage this
sort of thing because it will inevitably lead to stifling of community or
arbitrary violation. Rather than delluding ourselves wouldn't better to
disregard scope and instead have a "focus".

We "focus" on java products. Traditionally they are serverside and would
likely to remain so (because you need a PMC sponsor/champion for new projects
and most PMC members are serverside peeps). However I would have no problem
if someone wanted to have other similarly focused projects - even if they
were clienside or written in c or whatever.

For instance if IBM wanted to donate jikes to Apache and there was enough
community to support it - would you knock it back because it was C? or would
you reclassify it as a compiler used to build serverside java apps?

What happens if the Jext or JEdit editors (or the merge if it ever occurs)
wanted to join in Jakarta and had a like-minded community - would you knock
it back because it was clientside? or would you reclassify it as something
used to write serverside apps?

--
Cheers,

Pete