yahoo.com goes way beyond a search engine:

Email, address books, auctions, classified ads, file storage, calendars
and shared calendars, personalized portals for like 27 different sub
applications, the list goes on.

Yahoo is delivering a vast number of dynamic applications to an
incredible number of users, with excellent performance and reliabity. If
there a success story in IT, this is it.

I picked yahoo.com and google.com as two different examples of high
traffic Web sites that are delivering scalability.

I only mentioned google.com since it is ~blazingly fast~, and represents
a very different best-of-breed right now.